nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
Enable next generation components and systems related to semiconductor diodes lasers, optics and fiber coupled devices, and fiber lasers. Drive continuous improvement activities in a manufacturing environment related to released products, support production as appropriate and coordinate a wide range of cross functional groups.
- Coordinate effectively with cross functional groups (Operations, Engineering, Supply Chain, and Quality) to drive root cause analysis, yield improvements and cost reduction.
- Provide technical leadership and support to customer facing teams for resolving customer concerns and business development.
- Lead and execute process development and improvement projects from conception to completion.
- Identify recent external advancements in appropriate technical field, and qualify into production as capable processes.
- Support transition of new products from prototype to volume production utilizing DFSS and DFM.
- Drive continuous improvement opportunities and yield metrics utilizing wide variety of analytical techniques (such as SPC, DOE, Gauge R&R), lean manufacturing and six sigma concepts.
- Support manufacturing of released processes and products including generating BOMs and routers, documenting work instructions and support training of personnel.
- Evaluate, procure, and qualify new manufacturing equipment and tools.
- Direct daily activities of engineering technicians
- US citizenship required
- Degree in Engineering (Optical, Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical, Physics) or exceptional industrial experience in closely related technologies.
- 3+ years experience in process or product development of components, sub-systems, fiber optics, lasers, precision optical and electro-mechanical assemblies. Hybrid microelectronic packaging experience a plus
- Experience with industry standards such as: MIL-STD-883, MIL-PRF-38534, IPC/J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610, ANSI OP1.002.2009, and ISO 10110-7
- Knowledge and understanding of optical fibers, fiber assemblies and termination, optics, test (esp. data analysis), laser diodes and a variety of metrology/characterization/failure analysis techniques.
- Hands on working experience with optical fibers, lasers, optics and precision opto-mechanical systems and tools.
- Strong record of problem solving and data analysis through structured methodologies in high order multi-dimensional spaces
- Strong command of electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, basic tooling and fixture design.
- Understanding of new product introduction, qualification, and product lifecycle process.
- Background with the following processes and equipment is preferred: die attach/bonding, wire/ribbon bonding, vacuum solder reflow ovens, optical fiber alignment, hermetic seam sealing, solder and epoxies, electro-optical, electro-pneumatic and pressurized gas systems.
- ASQ Six Sigma Green Belt, Black Belt preferred
- In addition to the above qualifications, the ideal candidate embraces teamwork and mentoring opportunities among engineering, technician, and operations environments.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position