Sr. Mechanical Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
nLIGHT is searching for a Sr Mechanical Engineer and subject matter expert to lead in the development of cutting-edge laser and electro-optical systems. The position calls for Opto-Mechanical design leadership within a multidisciplinary team, focused on the design, fabrication and testing of complex electro-optical systems.
- Lead mechanical design efforts in the development of new laser systems and products
- Work within the development team to help define user interfaces, overall system layouts, product requirements, and cost objectives
- Apply DFX and other design principals to create manufacturing-friendly, cost-optimized solutions that meet or exceed the functional design goals
- Plan and execute design verification test protocols including environmental and accelerated life testing
- Adapt established and innovative low-cost manufacturing concepts to laser product designs
- Oversee and participate in the procurement and assembly of engineering and prototype builds
- Devise, design and build robust tooling and process equipment suitable for reliable high-volume manufacturing
- Commitment to Excellence. Attention to detail. Pride in Workmanship.
- Self-directed possessing excellent oral and written communication skills
- Minimum of BS degree in mechanical engineering or comparable and at least 7 years of experience in a mechanical engineering role.
- Experience with various manufacturing techniques – machining, sheet metal, injection molding, etc.
- Strong ability to conduct engineering analyses including heat transfer, thermal modeling, stress/strain behavior, and materials selection
- Detailed understanding of machining tools, methods and capabilities
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and engineering drawing practices including tolerance analysis and working understanding and ability to apply GD&T per ANSI Y14.5M
- Candidate shall be highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. DoD Security Clearance
Exceptional candidates will have
- Experience with environmental/mechanical qualification testing for military applications
- Development experience with high-power laser and optical assemblies.
- Detailed understanding of precision opto-mechanical design and fine mechanisms
- Experience with fiber optics, optical adhesives, solder attach, and/or semiconductor packaging
- Proficiency with ANSYS analysis software
- Experience managing other engineers and directing their day-to-day activities
Candidate must be a US citizen to be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position