Software Engineering Manager
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
- Direct Projects. Lead multidisciplinary team (firmware, test automation, web development, data services, …) through the development/ NPI (New Product Introduction) process. Manage and oversee feasibility studies, requirements generation, software design and qualification, compliance certification, and handoff to production.
- Develop Resources. Hire, develop and build highly capable team members with a collective skill set to deliver highest quality software products.
- Deliver to Plan. Develop and manage project plans (resource allocation, schedule, budget, and performance attributes) to ensure commitments are achieved; provide regular written and verbal status reports to peers and executives.
- Influence Business Strategy. Collaborate with partners to provide inputs to the business unit and corporate planning processes in support of quarterly and annual planning cycles.
- Improve Processes. Implement and influence business and operations systems in support of product development needs. Drive structured continuous improvement efforts.
- Manage Risk. Escalate issues and drive resolution, as required, to balance program risk as it relates to cost/schedule/performance. Facilitate risk- and priority-based technical decision-making.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position
- 10+ years of software/firmware development in real-time programming environments
- 5+ years of software product management, requirements, and software process management (Agile and Waterfall,) software management experience in global high-tech industries.
- Experience managing/directing software engineering development activities, and/or leading R&D teams through the spectrum of NPI Phases and Gates. Ability to motivate, focus, and coach project staff. Ability to influence, manage, and collaborate with external stakeholders.
- Experience with software process management systems and tools (Rally, RTC, ZenHub, Jama Contour, JIRA, etc.) and management controls (Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), LEAN, Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control (SPC), as examples).
- Familiar with Windows operating systems and .NET
- Comfortable with C# and C
- Bachelor’s degree in EE, CompE, or CS, Physics or similar discipline.
- Experience with embedded systems development is desirable