Senior Field Service Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
The nLIGHT Senior Field Service Engineer plays a key role in the success of our products.
This is a senior-level engineering role supporting nLIGHT installed base worldwide but primarily in the Americas. This role requires a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar engineering function, ideally in an industrial environment. The senior Field Service Engineer will be responsible for servicing and supporting external customers, collecting customer and user feedback, and cooperating with product design teams. This role requires excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills and leadership to build productive internal and external working relationships. The ideal candidate will be technically strong with excellent communication skills and a desire to advance into a service leadership position.
- Working with customers via phone/email to assist in the diagnosis, repair and integration of nLIGHT’s lasers including safety interfacing, hardwired control I/O, GUI/API interface, and common industrial fieldbus network protocols
- Build productive working relationships with external partners and internal nLIGHT colleagues.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the operation and integration of nLIGHT lasers in sales discussions with new potential customers either remotely via phone/email or onsite at customer facilities
- Collect external customer feedback on the overall user experience of operating and integrating our lasers for input to our product development teams
- Summarize results and findings into a presentation format that enables nLIGHT customers to gain expertise from onsite analysis.
- Present results and findings to groups of customers or applications partners including audiences of novices, technical experts, or executive management.
- Up to 80% travel (domestic and international) for brief periods for remedial and escalation support of the installed base and other Service Engineers.
- Work to achieve the fastest possible resolution to customer product failures
- Document support activities in a thorough and timely manner
- Build trusting relationships with customers and achieve a high level of customer satisfaction
- Deliver basic maintenance and repair training to nLIGHT Customers, Partners and fellow Customer Support Engineers
- Demonstrate an unwavering dedication to safety of yourself and all of those around you
- Must have a valid driver’s license and U.S. passport
- Minimum BS Engineering degree in electrical, computer science, or similar disciplines
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar engineering role
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple concurrent project schedules with critical technical deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for customer communication and technical presentations.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities in high-stress, down-production situations.
- Strong mechanical aptitude is a plus; experienced with hand tools, power tools, precision devices, and metrology equipment.
- Ability to type at least 35 words per minute
- Good eyesight – able to see and safely handle 125um optical fiber
- Meticulous attention to detail, highly organized and self-motivated.
- Knowledge and understanding of optics, fibers, laser diodes and test equipment
- Working knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Previous training in problem solving and quality improvement tools (8D, Pareto, etc.)
- Strong record of problem solving, implementing robust processes and systems
- Prior international travel and customer facing field service experience
- Basic knowledge of industrial network protocols such as EtherCAT, Profibus, Profinet, Ethernet/IP, and DeviceNet.
- Supervisory or management experience
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position