Sr Product Development Engineer
Sr. Product Development Engineer- Diode Laser Components
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
Development of fiber coupled diode lasers from concept to production. An opportunity to influence next generation high power laser diode component product designs and assembly processes for low cost, performance and reliability.
- Develop and optimize fiber coupled laser package designs and assembly methods while meeting performance, cost, reliability and schedule requirements.
- Utilize DFSS concepts including DOE and FMEA, Monte-Carlo analysis throughout development process to influence designs and achieve optimized results.
- Work with multifunctional teams to develop custom assembly equipment, including optical, mechanical, and software.
- Characterize design and methods in the lab and provide feedback to the team with both written and verbal technical reports with meaningful recommendations for path forward.
- Create product requirements, specifications and supporting technical documentation (BOMS, qualification reports, product characterization summaries, assembly instructions)
- Validate the manufacturability of new designs by identifying critical manufacturing tolerances and the process steps that lead to a viable process capability.
- Develop qualification test schedules that include environmental testing, accelerated aging, and design margin assessment by testing to failure.
- Collaborate with product managers and product engineers to identify technology gaps and product deficiencies and provide roadmaps for closure.
- Perform line and equipment capacity modeling, and make new equipment purchase recommendations.
- Conduct process validation, capability, and gauge studies.
- Present information in written and oral reports to teams within nLight.
- 5+ years relevant industry experience, which must include a demonstratable track record of successful designs into production.
- MS or PhD in EE, Material Science Engineering, Physics, Chemistry.
- High reliability laser packaging and opto-mechanical design experience preferred.
- Process development experience, including DOE and DFSS.
- Knowledge of laser diode optics and fiber coupling methods.
- In-depth, practical knowledge of epoxy types and applications is preferred.
- High volume (>10,000/yr) experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net.
Apply for this position